Monday, July 14, 2008

The Convergence is Coming!

As many of you know, R and I have been involved in the goth scene for some time now. This is a unique sub-culture that is usually misunderstood by those on the outside. I’m not going to go into a rant over this (right now) just suffice to say that we are NOT all a bunch of morally corrupt, devil/vampire worshipping, death mongers. The sub-culture can be seen as rather mellow dramatic and mournful but until you’re on the inside and truly understand what’s happening, please don’t judge or criticize. That would be the same thing as a person who has never been out of their county trying to sell their self as a world traveler. At any rate….

Convergence is, well basically, it is a goth convention. Lots of good music, extreme fashion, dancing, shopping, and conversation; let us not forget the site seeing as well. It’s a huge amount of fun and an absolutely remarkable experience to partake in. It is now in it’s 14th year and going strong. It can be a bit pricey. This is why R and I have not been able to go as often as we would like. In fact, the last one we went to was Convergence 10 in Chicago, so…it’s been a while. I still get excited over the thought of maybe being able to go each year, though. Now that R has this better job next year may actually be a possibility. Yeah!

We have several friends who have been fortunate enough to partake in several Convergences and it never ceases to amaze me when I see the absolutely beautiful pictures they come back with. This year, Convergence 14 (August 8th – 11th) will be held in Ybor City, Tampa Florida, and you thought goth’s hated the sun. Actually, anyone there may very well burst into flames at any given moment but it’s worth the risk * grin *

So, while I wish I could go, really, really wish I could go, alas I cannot (placing the back of my hand against my forehead now). I thought perhaps I would reminisce, and at the same time give you a chance to get a glimpse of what it’s like. So, without further ado I’m posting some pics of Convergence 10. Carpe Noctum.


Me, J & R


J & R


Me & J


J


Me, M, & B


Me in the corner

And now the Crowd












Some unique attire










Shopping




And...Into the Daylight






2 comments:

Charmi said...

Maybe a history piece on this would be nice. I'm fairly uneducated in this realm.

Great pic of you in red, by the way.

maeve63 said...

I actually began an Anthro project on the sub-culture, but my funding fell through and so it was never completed. Perhaps I'll write up an essay on it. It's difficult to do it justice in a Blog type space, there's actually quite a bit to it.

And, thanks for the kindness regarding the pic!