Saturday, November 8, 2008

Game Night Tonight



We have our Vampire game tonight. It’s been a while since we played. Everyone had something else going on for Halloween weekend, which would have been our game weekend, so we didn’t play. Since we only run the game every other week we’ve been on hold for close to a month now. I can’t remember what I was doing last game; it’s a good thing I take notes or I’d be all sorts of lost.

I remember that I bought myself a house to act as my hidden haven. No one will know where it’s at. I decided to throw off the usual basement sanctuary and make my sleeping quarters in the attic. I had a construction team come in and conceal the entrance and extra exit. I’ve also had the attic lined with steel plating to prevent the accidental hole in the roof. (Sun bad). I’m creating a rather elaborate tunnel system stemming from the basement. It will have passages that lead out to several shelters that have been placed out in the wooded property. It will also have several hidden rooms where I will be able to keep ghouls and an emergency feeding bank. That’s a bit further down the line, though. I currently don’t have the power needed to nest people there and keep them under control. It’ll come, though. I guess that’s it for Vampire right now. We’ll see if anything big happens tonight. If so, then I’ll probably make a post about it.


Still on the gaming topic, but now on D&D. I’ve started running a game for the 4 youngest kids on our off game weekends. They’ve wanted to play for some time now. They see the adult game going on and long to participate. So, I figured it would be a good time to start them out. Their ages are 8, 9, 10, & 13 all but the 13 year old will be advancing a year within the next couple of months. It’s also a learning experience for me. I’ve never DMd before (run the game). I figure if I mess up they won’t notice, so…why not?

The kids are actually doing quite well. I was surprised at their level of understanding so far. Our 9 year old is playing a rouge and has really taken to the role playing aspect of the game. She does a wonderful job of playing in character. She’s always been extremely creative, though, so I guess I shouldn’t be too surprise; but I am pleased. The youngest is playing a fighter. He still has a ways to go, I think, before he really gets into it. At the last game he was confronted by 4 goblins, as a dwarven fighter, he should have just kicked their butts, no questions asked. Instead he ran away…silly dwarf. I discussed it with him and found that he was afraid his character would die. (of course, that does happen from time to time). What he didn’t understand, though, was that if the character does die he can just make up another one and continue playing. He thought he would have to start over at the first level and lose all the XP he had gained. I assured him that he would be allowed to bring a new character in at the average party level. I think that made him feel better about fighting. We’ll see next game.

Man, look how I’ve rambled on about this stuff. I really do enjoy playing, if you hadn’t noticed. I guess I’ll cut it off here, though. The kid’s game has really been a lot of fun and I’m sure I’ll post some further updates on it. For now, though, I must go and clean the house, run to the store, and prepare dinner for the game tonight. Check you all out later. Have a good one and, oh…they say it’s going to snow tonight. I wonder if we’ll have our first accumulation *shrug*

No comments: