Saturday, November 29, 2008

Happy Holidays Unless You’re Working in Retail


So, I’m sure most of you have heard about the Wal-Mart employee who was trampled to death; and the two innocent people who were shot to death at Toys-R-Us after two other shoppers got into a gun fight over a toy. And, here we are into the holiday season that celebrates love, joy, and the compassion of humanity.

For crying out loud! I honestly do not understand society’s need to possess as many material objects as they can. People have completely lost their minds. In the first place, why in God’s name would ANYONE wait for hours on end for a store to open? Who cares if they might be able to get a deal? I mean seriously people; I have better things to do with my life, what about you? Has our society become so obsessed by the need to consume that people would trample down and kill other human beings just so they could get the “best deal” on an object that will most likely be thrown out within a decade, or even as soon as next month?

Did you guys know that the people who murdered this man at Walmart were then upset, not because they had caused the death of another human being, but because the store closed for the investigation? It’s crap like this that makes me think the human race really does not deserve to live. I mean really, this is what we have evolved too? We are so intent on gaining material wealth that we would communally destroy the life of an innocent person. You know what really makes me sick, though? It’s the thought that there is probably a good many of those people who were involved who are at this moment justifying their actions. I can hear it now, “I didn’t actually run over the guy.” “I was caught up in the crowd, I had to keep moving or I’d get trampled” or how about the idiots who assaulted the police that were there to try and help, and the dick heads who battered the other employees as they desperately tried to save their associate? I wonder what bullshit excuses any of those people have. I say bullshit, because that’s what it is. If people weren’t so driven for material possessions and had any sense about them, in my opinion, they would never have been at that store (or any store) that morning and so, no matter what they have to say, they are guilty of causing these people’s deaths. That goes for anyone at any store, anywhere that Black Friday is celebrated. You are all guilty, because you are all responsible for causing these insane circumstances.

Personally, I have never shopped on Black Friday, I think it’s the mark of a true sheep. When I was 17 I had to work at a retail store on Black Friday, that was (what?) like 28 years ago and it was horrible then. It’s obviously only gotten worse. I’m of the opinion that the stores would be more likely to offer better deals throughout the year if more people avoided the mad rush of Black Friday. Of course, that’s just my meaningless opinion.

So, let’s hear it for the death of those three people. Yeah! Who cares that they won’t be celebrating the holidays with their families this year? It’s survival of the fittest here and those people that caused their deaths can have a wonderful, happy holiday knowing that they got a good deal on the gifts they are giving away. Besides, it just means that there will be less people to fend off next year. So, to all of you who fought the battle for the best deal and played a part in the cross country madness, my hats off to you. You’re a bunch of dumb fucks! Sorry, I call it as I see it. I think if you play a part in perpetuating this material possession obsession then you deserve to be called a dumb fuck. And for any of my friends who may have been a part of the Black Friday madness, sorry for the offend, but you, too, are dumb fucks – but I mean that in the most loving and caring way possible.

So, with that off my chest, at least there is a glimmer of hope that keeps me moving forward and not totally thinking that the world would be a better place without the human race. Hopefully, you’ll find some meaning in it too. Some
people aren’t afraid to share the wealth

4 comments:

Dave King said...

A well-needed tirade, I think. Society seems always to be heading for the lowest common factor. It seems easy enough to identify the necessary medicines, but not so easy to see how they can be administered. I recently blogged on Albert Schweitzer and his spirituality. Difficult to know whether he or the stampeding hoards of shoppers most nearly reflect our basic human nature. A good post on an impressive blog.

maeve63 said...

Thank you for the input Dave. I appreciate your thoughts and it's nice to know that I didn't scare everyone off with that "tirade". My hope for our society still lingers as I continue to keep my fingers crossed for humanity.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear god!Where will it end?
This was interesting to read about,you write really good.

maeve63 said...

I know, the world's nuts, isn't it? Thanks for the kind words regarding my writing. It's really nice to hear.